Parking in the neighborhoods of East Lansing can be a challenge. Keep the following in mind when parking your car:

  • It is illegal to park on a lawn, block a driveway, park over a sidewalk, park backward on a City street, or park on any City street or parking space from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m.
  • Your car may be ticketed and towed at your expense if you park in public areas during restricted hours or private property without permission.
  • Vehicles must be operable (no flat tires) and have a proper license plate and current registration.

These are some basic parking rules, but for more detailed explanations, read below...

East Lansing & Off-Campus

Convenient, ample and affordable parking is located throughout downtown East Lansing. Parking ramps and surface lots are just steps from the shops, eateries and other businesses that make downtown East Lansing a convenient destination. Parking is also located just across from the Michigan State University campus.

The East Lansing Parking Department website provides all the parking information you’ll need. Get the details on the following and more!

The Parking and Code Enforcement (PACE) department is responsible for parking enforcement in the City of East Lansing. PACE offers the following general rules to guide parking within the city limits:

  • Park in designed parking areas only
  • No parking between 12 and 2 a.m. in residential zones within the city
  • No parking on any street from 2 to 6 a.m.
  • Don’t drive or park on the lawn. Vehicles must be operable (no flat tires) and have a current license.

For more information, visit the PACE website.


Michigan State University

MSU student parking permits are sold online only. All permits must be properly affixed to your windshield before they are considered valid, so please allow for mail time.

If you live on campus, you must be at least a second year student with 20 credits in order to register your vehicle. If you are a transfer student, we require proof that MSU has accepted 20 or more credits from your previous college or university.

All students whether residing on or off campus must register their vehicle with the MSU Department of Police if they operate their vehicles on campus.

If you change vehicles, you must scrape off your permit and take the pieces to the MSU Parking Office. They will issue you a replacement permit for a $2 fee. If you are having your windshield replaced, you must do the same. Permits are non-transferable from one vehicle to another.

Motorized vehicles are defined as any and all motor-driven vehicle such as automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, and mopeds. For a full list of student parking regulations, please see the MSU Police regulations.