MSU and the City of East Lansing promote safety and security for all students.
For fire safety, please see the Campus Fire Safety tips (PDF)provided by the US Fire Administration Department.
Crime prevention is a priority for the City and MSU. The following list of things to remember is meant for all MSU community members!
- Lock your doors and windows, especially when you are asleep, you are gone or are planning on extended time away
- Consider adding exterior lighting such as motion lights and having interior lights on a timer system
- Work with your friends and neighbors to monitor each other’s properties, especially when you plan extended time away
- Lock up your valuable items when unattended, including your car
- Register your bicycle with police – this may help the police recover it in the event of theft
- Report suspicious activities and or persons to the East Lansing Police Department or MSU Police promptly
Get Home Safely
Get a safe ride home by calling a local taxi service. The City of East Lansing offers many licensed taxi services – keep a list of numbers in your cell phone or wallet. Taxis are usually stationed on Albert Street in downtown East Lansing.
Walk Home Safely
East Lansing is overall a safe place, but if you are not aware of your surroundings, you might put yourself at risk! When walking off-campus late at night, remember these tips:
- Don’t walk by yourself
- Walk in well-lit areas
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings